Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

"Balloon Boy"

So, yesterday, I refreshed my twitter page like any other normal day and there was a tweet from Ryan Seacrest (Yes, I follow Ryan, so judge me!). This is what it said:

RyanSeacrest: this is terrifying RT @SadaoTurner: Watch live video of
6-yr-old boy trapped in hot air balloon at 7,000ft http://bit.ly/1oyHvL


Naturally I was curious so I clicked on the link. I was greeted with a horrifying video. A six year old was trapped inside a huge hot air balloon type thing and was flying over Colorado at 25 mph. I quickly turned the news on the TV to get the full story.

I watched for quite a while, scared to death, tears in my eyes, thinking about that poor child trapped inside that thing. I was terrified for that kid. I kept thinking about him hitting a tree or a power line or crashing to the ground. I was praying for him to be safe and for someone to figure out a way to get him down.

Not long after the balloon slowed down and pretty gently touched down. After a few minutes it was obvious that no one was inside (Either that or the rescue personnel were REAL idiots).

Now the question was, where was the boy? Did he fall out? Did he never get in? Was he hiding somewhere. No news for a while and then later I was at Walmart and J called me to tell me they found the boy and that he had been hiding in the attic. I was so relived.

Later that night the family was on Larry King Live (Wolf Blitzer was actually filling in for Mr. King). I missed the interview when it aired but was later pointed to a clip of the interview. I watched it and I must say . . . I'm kind of (okay, a Lot) skeptical now as to whether this was genuine or just put on as a publicity stunt.

When the boy was asked why he didn't come out when they were calling for him he responded by saying "You guys said we did this for the show." (referring to his parents.) Um, and what show would that be?? Then, on top of that, what followed was a very odd explanation by what appeared to be a kind of nervous father.

I don't know, judge for yourself. Here's the video if you're interested. The clip is only 2:20 seconds long.

2 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

I was horrified when I saw this yesterday as well and then it turns out to be a possible stunt. If it is the case, the parents need to be held accountable for the cost of this "stunt".

I just don't understand some people.

Raven said...

I heard about that on the news when it was happening. I can't believe it might be a publicity stunt! Some people will do anything to get on tv.