Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Party, Party

As most of you already know we had a party for my Sister-in-Law this past Friday. She will be leaving on Friday, headed north (I’m so very jealous), for college.

Lots of planning, money spent and one failed cake later we had a party. We had a good time and she received many things that she can put to good use while in school.



















My addition to the party (one of them) was making the cake. I was very excited about it. I was going to cover a two layer cake in fondant with her favorite colors. I even made all the fondant. When it came time to cover the first layer everything went well. It looked really good and I was very excited. Then the second layer happened. I covered it and put it on the first layer and the fondant started stretching and trying to slide off the cake. I tried innumerable times to fix it and it just continued to pool around the bottom. Finally I gave up. I scraped all the fondant off, trashed it (Can you say “waste?”) and started over.

Instead of fondant I just made butter cream icing and did my best to decorate it without any of my decorating tools. (I had left all my normal cake decorating supplies at home since I was planning on using fondant.) I was actually very happy with the way it turned out.

The kiddo and Niece seem to like it.



I wanted to take a picture of the inside of the cake. By the time I got there it was almost totally gone. I suppose that's a good sign!


All in all we had a great time. A plus was that while I was visiting them we had a meteor shower. Sister-in-Law and I laid out in the back of Mother-in-Law's pick-up truck and watched the meteors. So much fun! It was the best meteor shower I've ever seen.
Good Luck, Tam! Have a great time! Praying for you! Love you!

No comments: