Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

The Ghost

I just finished this book called The Ghost by Robert Harris. I’m really not sure exactly how I would categorize it. Political thriller? Is that even a genre?

It’s about a man who is ghostwriting the memoirs of a former British Prime Minister. Things go from confusing to really bad pretty quick and I really liked it.

Now, I must say under normal circumstances I would not have read the description for this book and thought “Oh that sounds like a must read!” No. On the contrary actually, I probably would have passed it up rather quickly.

The reason I sought this book out (and, yes, sought it out is a correct term. I had to have it shipped in from a library an hour away because ours didn’t carry it.) was because I was on http://www.imdb.com/ (love this site!) and I was looking at Ewan McGregor’s resume. I was checking out what he has coming up that I can look forward too. (Let’s face it, Ewan McGregor is MMmmm, MMmmm, good.) Anyway, I saw a movie called The Ghost and clicked on the link.

Once again, after reading a few lines I pretty much thought the only reason to see this movie was Ewan McGregor. Then I hopped on the message board and discovered that it was, in fact, a book. I decided that since I was going to watch the movie anyway I might as well read the book first (since books are usually better than the movies).

I’m really glad I read this book. It kept me interested (even when the subject matter wasn’t always something that would normally interest me) and the characters were very good. I grew especially fond of “The Ghost” (for he had no other name) during the reading and I must say the last paragraph came as a bit of a shock. In a good way? Sure, I guess. I felt a lot of emotions associated with that paragraph but in the end I decided I really liked it.

So, if you’re looking for a book to read I would recommend this one. Stick to it and DO NOT read the end before you actually get there!!!!

No comments: